This Girl Can
Finding a fun sport to try can feel intimidating, especially for many women who don’t feel like they’re ‘sporty’ or ‘talented’ enough to take up a new activity.
Vic Health have put together a great selection of stories from Victorian women who have first-hand experience overcoming these challenges and have helpful advice for getting active.
Visit This Girl Can – Victoria to learn more about how to embrace physical activity in a way that suits you.
Looking for some inspiration to get active?
Women supporting women
This Girl Can asked their ambassadors to share their top tips for being active – let them inspire you!
- I keep my sports bag packed and in my car, so I’m always ready to exercise.
- I go with a buddy, so I feel accountable – I even imagine them waiting for me alone, in the cold – I don’t want to let them down!
- I put my alarm clock on the other side of the room. Then when it goes off, I physically have to get up to turn it off. I also set three consecutive alarms so I don’t have an excuse!
- When I’m doing the child-drop off first thing in the morning, I wear my exercise gear. And I make a promise to myself to exercise before I go home. I like to remind myself not to feel guilty for making myself a priority.
- For me, it’s about getting moving every day, as part of my routine. So instead of driving to the shops, I try to walk or cycle.
- I write motivating quotes on my mirror and stick my weekly exercise goals (however big or small) on the fridge so I have constant reminders.
- I try to remember that when I’m at the gym, people are focused on themselves, not looking at me
- I like to put my exercise gear on a chair so that it’s looking at me when I wake up.
- For me, joining a team-sport helped me get to training because I don’t want to let my team-mates down.
- I always remember how amazing I feel after being active. Even if it’s tough at the time, I’m always glad I got out there!
Want expert help?
Meet the fantastic trainers we have here at Moonee Valley Health and Fitness. We have a great team of highly skilled and knowledgeable personal trainers, exercise physiologists, nutritionist and massage therapists. Below are the personal training profiles of our Ascot Vale Personal Trainers. If your looking for a highly qualified and experienced health professionals anywhere near Essendon, North Melbourne, Moonee Ponds, Maribyrnong, Kensington or the surrounding suburbs in Moonee Valley we have a trainer that will suit you.