New weapon against prostate cancer
Did you know everyday more than 45 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in Australia? Exercise is being teamed up with drug therapy to see if it can become a potent weapon against prostate cancer.
Everyday more than 45 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in Australia.
Baker Institute EX-HEART Trial
Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) is a potent anti-cancer therapy that reduces prostate cancer mortality. However, ADT may increase the risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality.
The purpose of this research study is to evaluate the impact of ADT on cardiovascular structure and function, as well as the impact of exercise training during ADT on cardiovascular structure and function.
Who can participate?
- Men 40 years or older.
- Diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- Scheduled or within one-month of receiving ADT.
Benefits of participation?
- Comprehensive cardiovascular screening including echocardiography, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging and cardiopulmonary exercise test.
- 3-month best practice exercise intervention.
- Supervised by an accredited exercise physiologist who specialises in prostate cancer.
- Individualised exercise prescriptions.
- Small group exercise sessions.
- Delivered at one of four fitness centres around Melbourne.
- All screening and training is provided free of charge to participants.
- All participants will receive the exercise intervention with the control group offered a delayed intervention (wait list control).
Contact Baker Institute if you are interested
If you are interested in participating or would like further information, please contact Baker Institute:
T 03 8532 1108
Contact Moonee Valley Health and Fitness
Our Melbourne clinic is based at 378 Mount Alexander Road, Travancore VIC 3032 but we also offer in-home and mobile exercise physiology throughout Melbourne.
Jeremy DUNN is an Accredited Exercise Physiologist with Exercise Sports Science Australia. As an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) he has also completed a four-year university degree and is an allied health professional who specialises in the delivery of exercise for the prevention and management of chronic disease and injuries.